Admin and Operations Assistant – The Hague
REDRESS is recruiting an Admin and Operations Assistant to support our work in The Hague. We are seeking applications from candidates who are organized, motivated, and who have a commitment to human rights.
REDRESS has a diverse team from different backgrounds and with different experiences. Under our Equality Policy, we welcome applications from people of colour, LGBTQI+ people, and disabled people, who are currently under-represented.
Who we are
REDRESS is an international human rights organisation based in London and The Hague that pursues legal claims on behalf of survivors of torture in the UK and around the world to obtain justice and reparation for violations against their human rights. We empower survivors to access justice through human rights cases against governments, civil cases against individuals, and cases where we advocate for law enforcement bodies to prosecute perpetrators under the principle of universal jurisdiction.
Our approach is strategic, so that as well as representing an individual we target the policy reasons that enabled the torture to take place, by building a campaign that uses advocacy, community engagement, and communications to influence change.
Our 2025 Strategy identifies torture related to dissent and discriminatory torture as our two thematic priorities. We also support the anti-torture movement through our solidarity programme.
The Admin & Operations Assistant will support our team of lawyers, fellows and interns in The Hague, and also work with administrative and finance colleagues in London to ensure that administrative tasks are completed, and that the organisation functions efficiently. We are looking for someone who can multi-task and work in a busy environment.
The main responsibilities of the role are:
- Provide administrative support to the Hague office, including managing the office environment, and the requirements of the Stichting.
- Assisting with human resources functions, including recruitment.
- Assisting with finance functions relating to the Hague office.
The position will also contribute to the work of REDRESS as follows:
- Deal with inquiries by phone, email, and post, and engage with colleagues to respond to them.
- Manage correspondence and inquiries relating to the office, including engagement with service providers (banks, insurers, utilities, etc).
- Support the effective operation of the office, including IT, maintaining office supplies, assisting with visitors, and preparing for meetings.
- Assist with health and safety assessments and any changes required as a result.
- Support financial operations, including day-to-day bookkeeping using Quickbooks, transaction processing, reconciliation of accounts, responding to payment requests, assisting with financial reports, and processing expenses claims and expenditure requests.
- Assist with the recruitment, onboarding, and induction of new staff, fellows, and interns.
- Assist with delivering internal and external events, including booking flights, hotels, catering, venues, checking VISA requirements, reviewing insurance, organising interpretation, preparing logistics, drafting forms.
- Help maintain our databases, including mailing lists and casework files.
- Help maintain the website by uploading content.
- Support the Communications team with social media when necessary.
- Providing general administrative assistance to staff, fellows and interns.
The position is also expected to carry out such further duties as may reasonably be required from time to time by REDRESS.
This is an entry level position, and so we will consider candidates at the beginning of their career, with some relevant experience.
The successful candidate will need to have the following essential competencies:
- At least two years relevant work experience, preferably in the non-profit sector or in an international environment.
- Other relevant experience through internships, volunteer roles, work experience, educational work placements, or other practical experience.
- Demonstrated experience of delivering work on time and meeting deadlines, as well as attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both Dutch and English
A strong candidate will also have other desirable competencies:
- The HBO or MBO degree qualification, or aqualification in business administration, or another relevant subject.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of software, particularly Excel.
- Demonstrated experience working with an accounting database.
- An understanding of Dutch employment law and administrative systems.
- Skills in a language other than English or Dutch, in particular French, Arabic or Spanish.
To work for Redress, the candidate should have the following personal attributes:
- Happy to work collaboratively as part of a small and energetic team with a wide range of personalities.
- Highly efficient and organised, with an ability to multi-task, show initiative, solve problems, and take a hands-on role when necessary.
- Able to think and work strategically, creatively, and under pressure.
- Able to understand and support the aims, objectives and values of REDRESS and reflect them in all aspects of work.
- Able to work with victims of human rights abuse with a range of specific needs.
Reporting. The position is part of the Operations team, and will report to the Office Manager.
Hours. This is a part-time position for up to 18 hours a week. Evening and weekend work may be required from time to time.
Location. The position is based at the REDRESS office in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Flexible Working. REDRESS is an “in-person” organisation and we value team work, but we have a flexible working policy which allows for working from home. Staff are currently required to be in the office at least two days a week.
Salary. The salary will be determined following an assessment of the experience of the candidate together with the job description, in accordance with the collective labour agreement for social work (CAO Sociaal Werk).
Individual Choice Budget. Under the CLA the employee is able to make use of an Individual Choice Budget (‘Individueel Keuzebudget’) as part of their employment.
Vacation Allowance. The employee will receive an 8% vacation allowance over their gross salary, as part of their IKB.
Year-End Bonus. The employee will receive an 8.3% year-end bonus (‘eindejaarsuitkering’) as part of their IKB.
Career budget. The employee is entitled to a career budget (‘loonbaanbudget’) of 1.5% of the actual salary earned.
Duration. This is a permanent contract.
Start date. The position would start December 2022.
Probation. There is a six-month trial period.
Pension. REDRESS also makes a pension contribution in accordance with the CLA.
Holiday. There are 144 hours of vacation per year (pro rata), in addition to Netherlands public holidays. The office is also closed between Christmas and New Year.
Status. The candidate must have the right to live and work in the Netherlands.
Interview process. We expect to do two rounds of interviews. We may ask candidates to make a short presentation as part of the process, but will provide information on that nearer the time.
- First round Interviews will take place on Wednesday 26 October 2022 and will be on-line.
- Final round interview will take place on Wednesday 2 November 2022 and will probably be in-person at our office in The Hague.
- How to Apply
Please upload to our recruitment portal a single PDF file with:
- A cover letter of no more than one page explaining (a) why you would like to work for REDRESS, (b) how you fulfil the personal specification for the role, and (c) how you will contribute to the diversity of REDRESS.
- Your CV or resume.
Please also complete the anonymous Diversity Monitoring Form. We use the information from the form to tell us about the diversity of the applicant pool for each of the positions that we advertise. We keep the conclusions of the analysis for our records, and the underlying data is destroyed three months after the recruitment closes.
Deadline: Wednesday 19 October 2022