REDRESS is recruiting an Administrative Assistant to be based in London for an initial 12-month contract (with the possibility of an extension) to primarily support our finance and fundraising operations, as well as providing support to our legal casework and events.
Who we are
REDRESS is an international human rights organisation based in London and The Hague that represents victims of torture to obtain justice and reparation. We bring legal cases on behalf of individual victims of torture, and advocate for better laws to provide effective reparations. Our cases respond to torture as an individual crime in national and international law, and as a human rights violation with state responsibility. We apply our expertise in torture, reparation, and the rights of victims to national and international courts. Through our victim-centred strategic litigation we are able to have an impact beyond the individual case to address the root causes of torture and to challenge impunity. We conduct research and advocacy to identify the changes in law, policy and practice that are necessary. We work collaboratively with international and national organisations and grassroots victims’ groups.
Based in London the Administrative Assistant will primarily support the finance team and the fundraising team. The role will also assist on casework, and with our events. This is an ideal opportunity for a recently qualified professional seeking to develop a career in the operational side of human rights work, in a small and dynamic international charity.
REDRESS has a flexible approach to staffing, and we are prepared to consider this post full-time or part-time.
The position is expected to contribute to the work of REDRESS as follows
Finance Operations. Support the Head of Finance with regular financial functions, including the following:
- Day-to-day book-keeping using QuickBooks Pro, including transaction processing and reconciliation of accounts.
- Process expenses claims and expenditure requests.
- Respond to payment requests using cheques, BACS, and international transfers as appropriate.
- Provide regular insight into unrestricted and restricted balances.
- Maintain cashflow management controls.
- Assist in the preparation of interim and final financial reports to funders.
- Support and monitor international partner organizations by reviewing their reporting and transaction checking.
- Assist the Head of Finance in preparing the statutory accounts.
Fundraising Operations. Support the fundraising team through activities including the following:
- Research into potential donors.
- Prepare documents for fundraising applications and reports.
- Monitor the fundraising pipeline and deadlines.
- Organise sponsorship for sporting events.
- Respond to enquiries from regular supporters.
- Support social media in support of fundraising.
- Participate in fundraising meetings.
Litigation. Provide clerical support to our casework, through maintaining effective casefiles.
Events. Support the planning and delivery of online and in-person events.
The Administrative Assistant is also expected to carry out such further duties as may reasonably be requested from time to time by REDRESS.
This is an entry level position, and so we will consider candidates directly from university. The ideal candidate will have the following experience.
- Relevant experience working in an office environment.
- A university degree relevant to the role.
- Demonstrated computer skills.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
The following competencies are desirable:
- At least two years relevant work experience.
- University qualification in accounting or finance.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks programmes.
- Fluency in a language other than English, in particular French, Arabic or Spanish.
To work for Redress, the candidate should have the following personal attributes:
- A positive and collaborative attitude.
- Good interpersonal skills when engaging with staff, partners, donors, and supporters.
- Comfortable working with victims of human rights abuses.
- Highly efficient and organised, with an ability to multi-task and to work independently.
- Able to pay close attention to detail and work with accuracy.
- Able to understand and support the aims, objectives and values of REDRESS and reflect them in all aspects of work.
- Able to think and work strategically, creatively, and under pressure.
Reporting. The position reports to the Head of Finance.
Hours. Full time (35 hours a week). Evening and weekend work may be required from time to time. Redress has a flexible working policy that allows for some working from home.
Duration. This is a 12-month position, partially supported by project funding. If further funding is forthcoming the position may be extended.
Location. The Redress office in London. For 2020 staff are mainly working remotely.
Salary. Redress uses salary scales with four levels (Assistant, Officer, Advisor, Head of) and seven steps within each level. There is a cost of living increase annually and an expectation of a step increase for strong performance, where funds permit. This is an entry level ‘assistant’ position, within an initial annual salary range (A1-A3) of between £26,087 and £30,000.
Probation. There is a three-month probationary period, which can be extended to six months.
Holiday. There are 25 days of holiday per year, in addition to UK public holidays. The office is also closed between Christmas and New Year.
Status. The candidate must have the right to live and work in the UK.
This is a rolling recruitment, which will close when the position is filled.
How to Apply:
Please send to [email protected]: A cover letter explaining your interest in REDRESS and your qualifications for the role, a curriculum vitae, a two-page writing sample (such as a sample of academic written work, authored by the applicant), and the names and contact details of two references (these will only be approached in the final short-listing process).
No contact from agencies or media sales.