Finance Officer – London
REDRESS is recruiting a Finance Officer to support the operational activities of the organization.
REDRESS is an international human rights organisation based in London and The Hague that represents victims of torture to obtain justice and reparation. We bring legal cases on behalf of individual victims of torture, and advocate for better laws to provide effective reparations. Our cases respond to torture as an individual crime in national and international law, and as a human rights violation with state responsibility. We apply our expertise in torture, reparation, and the rights of victims to national and international courts. Through our victim-centred strategic litigation we are able to have an impact beyond the individual case to address the root causes of torture and to challenge impunity. We conduct research and advocacy to identify the changes in law, policy and practice that are necessary. We work collaboratively with international and national organisations and grassroots victims’ groups.
Position Profile – Finance Officer
Based in London, the Finance Officer will be responsible for the administration of the finances of REDRESS UK and Stichting REDRESS NL.
The main tasks include:
- Day-to-day book-keeping using QuickBooks Online including all transaction processing and reconciliation of accounts to trial balance for both entities;
- Respond to payment requests using BACS and international transfers as appropriate, including weekly payment runs;
- Provide regular insight into unrestricted and restricted balances;
- Oversee UK and NL payroll processing, including staff timesheet management and salary allocation to project grants;
- Maintain cashflow management controls;
- Review income and expenditure against budget;
- Prepare interim and final financial reports to funders;
- Review project financial reports submitted by projects teams who are supporting and monitoring partner organizations;
- Assist the Head of Finance in preparing the management and statutory accounts;
- General finance and admin administration as required.
The Finance Officer is also expected to carry out such further duties as may reasonably be required from time to time by REDRESS.
The successful candidate will need to have the following competencies:
- A minimum of three years directly relevant work experience;
- University degree in accounting or finance, or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel and QuickBooks programmes or similar accounting databases;
- Fluency in English: additional language skills an advantage.
A strong candidate will also have other desirable competencies:
- Experience working in a financial position in a charity;
- Experience in the specific demands of charity finance;
- Experience working in an international NGO.
To work for REDRESS, the candidate should have the following personal attributes:
- Empathy with victims of human rights abuse with a range of special needs;
- Comfortable to work with a wide range of personalities;
- Energetic, resourceful, good strategic thinker but also willing and ready to take a hands-on role;
- Highly efficient and organised, with an ability to multi-task;
- Able to understand and support the aims, objectives and values of REDRESS and reflect them in all aspects of work;
- Able to think and work strategically, creatively, and under pressure.
Reporting. The position reports to the Head of Finance.
Hours. This is a full-time position at 35 hours a week. Evening and weekend work may be required from time to time. REDRESS has a flexible working policy that allows for some working from home.
Location. The position is based at the REDRESS office in London.
Salary. This is a B-level ‘officer’ position, with a salary range starting at £30,435.
Probation. There is a six-month probationary period.
Pension. REDRESS offers a generous pension contribution.
Holiday. There are 25 days of holiday per year, in addition to UK public holidays. The office is also closed between Christmas and New Year.
Status. The candidate must have the right to live and work in the UK.
First round Interviews will take place on Friday 26th March.
Final round interview will take place on Wednesday 31st March.
How to Apply
Please send to [email protected]: A cover letter of no more than one page explaining (a) why you would like to work for REDRESS, and (b) how you fulfil the personal specification for the role, together with a Curriculum vitae and the names and contact details of two references (these will only be approached in final stage of the process).
Deadline: Friday 19 March 2021.