REDRESS is seeking a motivated Media Intern to join our friendly and dedicated team in London. This position would suit someone who is a current student or recent graduate of Journalism looking to expand their CV with an interest in developing a career in the Third Sector or human rights field. The placement would be based in our London office.
REDRESS is an international human rights organisation that represents victims of torture to obtain justice and reparations. We bring legal cases in a range of international courts and tribunals on behalf of individual survivors, and advocate for better laws to provide effective reparations. Our cases respond to torture as an individual crime in domestic and international law, as a civil wrong with individual responsibility, and as a human rights violation with state responsibility.
REDRESS supports the progressive development of the International Criminal Court (ICC) as an institution that complements national trials to deliver justice for victims of international crimes, with a focus on victims’ rights, including participation, protection, legal representation, and reparations. We coordinate the Victims’ Rights Working Group, an informal global network of experts and advocates working to promote justice for victims of international crimes.
Tasks will include:
- Helping prepare a wide range of communications materials.
- Writing content for the website and social media sites.
- Tracking media coverage.
- Maintaining and updating REDRESS’s database of media contacts.
- Assisting in developing audio-visual materials that promote REDRESS.
- Conducting research relating to torture and broader human rights issues.
- Assisting with other duties that may be reasonably expected.
Qualifications and experience:
- Current Journalism student or recent graduate with an interest on human rights issues and/or international affairs. Candidates with other academic backgrounds might be considered if they have some journalistic experience.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to interpret technical material for a wide range of audiences.
- Strong interest and knowledge of UK press.
- Strong knowledge of social media.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong organisational skills.
- Must have a genuine interest in human rights and the principles of REDRESS’ work.
- Additional language skills (particularly Arabic or French).
- Graphic design skills.
- Video editing skills.
- Strong IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel.
A minimum of two days a week for 10 weeks. The successful candidate will work with our Head of Communications.
This is an unpaid volunteer position. REDRESS will cover travel and lunch for £15 per day.
Prospective candidates requiring financial support are encouraged to seek financial assistance from their academic institutions, outside fellowships and/or grants.
How to apply: Please email your CV and any examples of your journalistic work to Eva Sanchis, REDRESS’ Head of Communications, at [email protected]. In your email, please explain briefly why you are interested in interning with REDRESS and write ‘Media Internship Application’ in the subject of your email. Thank you for applying.
Starting Date: Week of 20 April 2020
Application deadline: 16 March 2020. Interviews to take place during the week of 23 March 2020.
Equal opportunity Policy
REDRESS is committed to ensuring impartiality and equality of opportunity. We will not discriminate unlawfully when selecting candidates for internships. REDRESS will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with the candidate’s merits, qualification and ability to perform the relevant duties required and against fair skills criteria.
In addition, REDRESS expects everyone to respect the rights of the individual to enjoy a workplace free from prejudice, harassment and discrimination.
REDRESS encourages disclosure of disability by candidates to the internship programme without prejudice. We believe this information enables staff to ensure that health and safety issues are considered and offers the opportunity to explore any additional needs applicants may have. All information will remain confidential to the REDRESS team.
No calls please.