REDRESS is seeking a motivated MEDIA INTERN to join our friendly and dedicated team in London. This position would suit someone who is a current student or recent graduate of Journalism looking to expand their CV with an interest in developing a career in the Third Sector or human rights field. The placement would be based in our London office (87 Vauxhall Walk, SE11 5HJ).
Tasks will include:
- Helping prepare a wide range of communications materials.
- Writing content for the website and social media sites.
- Tracking media coverage.
- Maintaining and updating REDRESS’s database of media contacts.
- Assisting in developing audio-visual materials that promote REDRESS.
- Conducting research relating to torture and broader human rights issues.
- Assisting with other duties that may be reasonably expected.
Qualifications and experience:
- Current Journalism student or recent graduate with an interest on human rights issues and/or international affairs. Candidates with other academic backgrounds might be considered if they have some journalistic experience.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to interpret technical material for a wide range of audiences.
- Strong interest and knowledge of UK press.
- Strong knowledge of social media.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong organisational skills.
- Must have a genuine interest in human rights and the principles of REDRESS’ work.
- Additional language skills (particularly Arabic or French)
- Graphic design skills
- Video editing skills
- Strong IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel.
Time commitment: A minimum of two days a week for 10-12 weeks. The successful candidate will work with our Head of Communications.
Starting Date: Week of 9 November 2020.
Application deadline: 23 October 2020. Interviews to take place during the week of 2 November 2020.
How to apply: Please email your CV and any examples of your journalistic work to Eva Sanchis, REDRESS’ Head of Communications, at [email protected]. In your email, please explain briefly why you are interested in interning with REDRESS and write ‘Media Internship Application’ in the subject of your email. Thank you for applying.
Unfortunately, REDRESS cannot sponsor individuals applying for internships to help obtain visas.
Equal opportunity Policy
REDRESS is committed to ensuring impartiality and equality of opportunity. We will not discriminate unlawfully when selecting candidates for internships. REDRESS will ensure that each candidate is assessed only in accordance with the candidate’s merits, qualification and ability to perform the relevant duties required and against fair skills criteria. REDRESS expects everyone to respect the rights of the individual to enjoy a workplace free from prejudice, harassment and discrimination.
REDRESS encourages disclosure of disability by candidates to the internship programme without prejudice. We believe this information enables staff to ensure that health and safety issues are considered and offers the opportunity to explore any additional needs applicants may have. All information will remain confidential to the REDRESS team.
No calls please.