REDRESS, the award-winning anti-torture charity, is seeking a motivated MEDIA INTERN to join our friendly and hardworking team. REDRESS is a widely respected international human rights organisation that works to combat torture by seeking justice and reparation for torture survivors. This position would suit someone who is a current student or recent graduate looking to expand their CV with an interest in developing a career in the Third Sector or human rights field. The placement would be based in our London office (87 Vauxhall Walk, SE11 5HJ).
Tasks will include:
- Maintaining the organisation’s presence on social media sites.
- Keeping the website up to date.
- Writing content for the website and social media sites.
- Helping prepare communications materials.
- Conducting research relating to torture and broader human rights issues.
- Tracking media coverage.
- Maintaining and updating our database of media contacts.
- Assisting in developing audio-visual materials that promote REDRESS.
- Assisting with other duties that may be reasonably expected.
Qualifications and experience:
- Current Journalism student or recent graduate with an interest on human rights issues and/or international affairs; candidates with other academic backgrounds might be considered if they have some experience in any of the tasks listed above.
- Good writing skills: ability to interpret technical material for a wide range of audiences.
- Good IT skills, particularly in using Microsoft Excel.
- Strong interest and knowledge of UK press.
- Good knowledge of social media.
- Must be reliable, self-motivated and have strong organisational skills.
- Must have a genuine interest in human rights and the principles of REDRESS’ work.
- Additional language skills (particularly Spanish, Arabic or French)
- Graphic design skills
Time commitment: Full time for six weeks. The successful candidate will work with our Head of Communications.
Starting Date: 2 July 2018
Application deadline: 22 June 2018. Interviews to take place during the week of 25 June 2018.
How to apply: Please email your CV and any examples of your journalistic work to Eva Sanchis, REDRESS’ Head of Communications, at [email protected]. In your email, please explain in 3 paragraphs maximum why you are interested in interning with REDRESS and write ‘Media Internship Application’ in the subject of your email. Thank you for applying.