Event: UK Launch of the Istanbul Protocol (IP) 2022
Freshfields, 100 Bishopsgate, London EC2P 2SR
Monday 14 November 2022
5-7pm followed by a reception
On 14 November, REDRESS, the Centre for Human Rights Law at SOAS and Forrest Medico-Legal Services launched the latest edition of the Istanbul Protocol, the global standards for the investigation and documentation of torture, amongst practitioners in the UK.
REDRESS was one of the four civil society organisations that led the revision of the Istanbul Protocol, together with the four core UN anti-torture bodies, over six years.
Speakers and panellists at the event included:
- Olivier Acuña – client of REDRESS and survivor of torture
- Dr Rachel Bingham – Medical Justice
- Dr Juliet Cohen – former Head of Doctors, Freedom from Torture; IP 2022 Chapter Editor
- Chris Esdaile – Legal Advisor, REDRESS; Member of IP 2022 Editorial Committee
- Stephanie Harrison KC – Garden Court Chambers
- Dr Vincent Iacopino – former Senior Medical Adviser, Physicians for Human Rights; Adjunct Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota Medical School; Member of IP 2022 Editorial Committee
- Prof Dr Lutz Oette – SOAS Centre for Human Rights Law; IP 2022 Chapter Editor
The event was hosted by Freshfields in London, and we are grateful for their generous support.
Read more about the Istanbul Protocol 2022 here.